Friday, March 17

Oh four god's sake...

PantyRaid


Another meme. And Douglas, what makes you think I can't deliver?

By the way, you know you blog too much when you're filling out registration forms for your kid's school and you get to "home address" and you start writing "http:..."

Four

4 jobs you’ve had in your life:

retail for a yarn store (yes I spent more than I made)
Historian's research assistant
IT helpdesk (try asking a tech who calls what he's wearing)
MOM.

4 movies you would watch over and over:


The latest Pride and Prejudice
The Incredibles (best plot of any animated movie ever)
Pimpernel Smith (great WWII propaganda and Leslie Howard to boot, not avail on DVD yet. Why?)
Hitchcock's Notorious (I have the whole thing memorized. Try me.)

My favorite line ever from Notorious, a drunk Ingrid Bergman: "I'm very sorry you all have to go. It has been a perfectly hideous party."


4 places you have lived:

Behind the wheel of my minivan
In front of my washing machine
My right brain
Sheraton Tacoma with AL and akabini, 'cause that's living.

4 TV shows you [- love to] watch:


I don't have a television. Only video, and that is mostly for the kids. No cable. Can you imagine what it is like to be without television for several years, then check into a motel and find that the most popular thing on is Dancing with the Stars? You can't? Why not? I honestly felt as though Dr. Hannibal Lecter was eating my brain as I watched.

I watch Netflix videos on my laptop and ditto for Colbert and TDS clips.

4 places you have been on vacation:

Tacoma (knitting convention, the best)
Cortona, Italy
England
Dublin

Haven't been overseas since kids and I don't miss it.

4 websites you visit daily:

Balls and Walnuts
Bloglines (where I pick up AL and akabini)
Technorati ('cause I am such a linky whore)
Wiggles game page because 3yo insists


4 of your favorite foods:


Sweet potatoes
Corned beef hash, homemade, not canned
any kind of cake with icing
steak

4 places you would rather be right now:


Don't hate me. Starbucks.
Tacoma Sheraton
In bed
Well, right now I'm blogging and all three kids are otherwise occupied. This is good.

4 friends you are tagging that you think will respond:

Nooooo, I don't do that. Most of my friends have done this or a version of it anyway, but if you haven't and want to, pick it up and leave a note in comments so we can all check you out.

10 comments:

  1. How do you do your sweet potatoes? Mine is dead simple. Melt a half stick of butter. Add about a half cup of brown sugar. Peel a yam and cut it into 3/4 inch disks (more or less). Add it to the butter/sugar mixture. You can add a TINY bit of liquid (water, vanilla, just don't use anything acidic -- I tried orange juice once, and it screwed up the texture of the yams) to help make everything liquid, but the yams will eventually give up enough water to accomplish this.

    I also add about a half teaspoon of salt.

    Flip the disks until they are coated all over with sugar/butter. Cover and simmer over medium to low heat, flipping the disks every ten minutes or so. This CAN burn, so until you get the hang of it, watch it carefully.

    No other recipe that I have tried caramelizes the yams quite as well as this -- the longer you cook them, the better it is. I once let it go an hour, and my family thought that was the best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i answered it at my blog. i love sweet potatoes as well, but not as 1 of my top 4. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I worked in a yarn store too!
    Mine was slowly going out of business. . .it was in Harvard Square, in a converted garage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug your recipes are better than...

    I bake my sweet potatoes in the microwave, push 'em open and dump butter and brown sugar on top. eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Is Lent over? Where's the special lenten edition header??? I saw the Virgin's face in my heated birdbath this morning, but I just washed it away. I couldn't take the pressure of having to maintain holy water for the local sparrows. Mark this down under the "evil" category. I'm working on earning that button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was the panty raid thingy up top that grabbed my attention, but not because of what blue gal likely thinks I might bring up to spoil her fun. It reminded me that when I was failing my way out of college in the early 50's panty raids on campuses were all the rage, and I was not one to be left out of the fun. That said, how different were the days when that's what kids did for excitment from today when some nuts burn down churches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lent is not over, AL, but that nun had other duties.

    Oh, Don, don't date yerself. Panty raids go on today, they're just online. Just ask my hoards of readers who found me through smutty Google searches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can you tell when a Republican’s dead?

    The answer is up to you. Come see the contest that I’m hosting, especially if you’re an active blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll try to write something clever; please tag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try maple syrup with butter on your microwaved sweet potatoes. That's one of the three foods that (three seperate) men proposed to.

    The other two are a barbecue sauce for popcorn and fresh strawberries dipped into balsamic vinegar.

    And the men proposed to the FOOD, not to me... ...just to keep things clear...

    Interesting about your TV choices. Those are mine, too - our house had to have two dish antennae put on in order to get Dutch TV (language immersion, professional development, you know) and we ended up paying extra ($5/month) if we didn't want broadcast TV in our home. Strange but true... ...we cancelled satellite TV when Dutch programming was cancelled (grumble grumble grumble) and have been video only ever since, and pretty scarce video watching at that - there's too much INTERESTING going on for that.

    I think TV is the TRUE opium of the masses. Or maybe the meth of the masses? Whatever it is, I've resented it since I was 19 and saw a "live" killing (talk about oxymorons!) on the TV news. My feelings then (which have not changed a bit) were: "why would I want to allow that kind of violence into my home?" and I've pretty much stuck with that.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!