Thursday, May 8

A poem for a friend who is under the weather.

I hope you feel better, sweetie, and that this poem cheers you. - BG



THE GREAT OFFENSE

She seemed so bored,
I wanted to embrace her by surprise;
But then the scalding waters
Fell from her eyes and burnt her roses.

I offered her a cup....

And came to paradise....

Ah, sorrow,
When she rose from the waves of wine
I thought she would have killed me
With the swords of her desolation....

Especially as I had tied her girdle
With the wrong bow.

_From the Arabic of Abu Nuas (eighth century)._

1 comment:

  1. ...and left stars on your pillow for others to find.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!