Wednesday, March 30

Blue Gal's been busy...

Blue Gal has not posted in a while, as she has been busy travelling to see Raisin relatives in South Dakota.

She has also been in mourning. Lew Alquist, well, I've loved him since I was thirteen years old. Forgive me, Lew, I just can't find the words.

Lew would have found dark humor in the Terri Schiavo case. He did not believe in any dichotomy between man and machine, and his message at work said he brought in food and water for the answering machine...

The Atlanta-based 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said it best on this one:
...in a scathing attack on politicians who got involved in the case, the court added that the White House and lawmakers ``have acted in a manner demonstrably at odds with our Founding Fathers' blueprint for the governance of a free people - our Constitution.''
I just wish those judges could put Fox News off the air as an unconsitutional public menace. But as Fox management would be quick to point out, there is that first amendment thang, isn't there? Well, maybe Blue Gal doesn't love freedom, didja ever think of that, huh? At least Blue Gal thinks freedom of speech should not apply to lying and exploiting, plus anything related to Michael Jackson.

1 comment:

  1. Lew was a teacher at the School of the Art Institute when I was an undergraduate student. I didn't work with Lew, because I did not do kinetic sculpture, but I knew him - he was advisor to one of my friends. Plus, he was open and friendly to everyone.

    His was the last show at the old Randolph Street Gallery in Chicago - it was hilarious, and it was elegant: three rows of standing electric fans. Simple, yet complex. There was a grace to his work that just defied the humor of it all.

    I had no idea he'd died. In fact, I hadn't thought of Lew in many years - and found this all by accident yesterday. It's a shock, and I'm sad, and I get why you adored him. He was a good, good man and a terrific artist.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!