Friday, December 9

Now it's George Will's turn to eat his heart out.

pride5
He's a frickin' hottie. Stolen from Moviespoilers.net


Blue Gal got let out this afternoon to go see Pride and Prejudice by herself. Good thing, too. Hubby's patience for that much chick flick would've faded in the first few minutes.

Blue Gal cried her eyes out the whole movie. And those of you who know Blue Gal personally know that's a good thing. Matthew MacFadyen's Darcy is just about the most tortured Heathcliff, er, I mean, Darcy, ever. And tortured men are almost as good as intellectual men, tortured intellectuals are of course the best (yeah, yeah, that includes YOU, Comrade.) except that they are impossible to live with, but I digress.

But my favorite scene didn't have Darcy in it at all. When Elizabeth goes into Dad's office to tell him she loves Darcy, Mr. Bennett (Donald Sutherland wonderful, wonderful, should be nominated) looks up at his daughter and realizes she has found true love, real love, this realization appears on his face and he weeps for her. It's not just fatherly love, it's humanity on display. It is so real. Shoulda brought a mop.

It's a luvley film. If you're a girl, or just think like one. The soundtrack is really nice too. If you "enter site" at the link above you'll get a listen.

Have a calm weekend without shopping. Even once. I mean it.

4 comments:

  1. I think he is my favorite Darcy ever, so interior and delicious. (Although I am also fond of Wishbone's portrayal.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how come they've switched the marketing strategy from drippin' wet chickflickia to wacky British comedy of manners? Instead of showing the scene you've described of Sutherland crying for his daughter's love, we get him doing a cutesy little eyebrow dance.

    If they're trying to broaden the audience all they have to do is show us more pictures of Keira Knightley.

    That'd work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she's just your type, qwerty, pretty face and flat chested as can be. Now if she would just cut that hair...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make being impossible to live with an art form.

    But I wouldn't ever attempt to romanticize tortured-ness. Some people seem to dig the novelty of the thing. They really shouldn't.

    P.S.

    I think like a girl, but I'm not that sort of girl. And when I cry, it's usually not in 19th century period pieces. Usually it has to be in gritty, realistic dramas about dysfunctional people.

    Speaking of which, I really really need to get a good cry on, too.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!