Thursday, December 15

Terrorism and response.

mommy_stupid


Yoga Korunta asked:

what do you think should be done to address the violence of radical Islam?


In my extremely humble opinion, the violence of radical Islam, or any terrorism, needs police action, not army action. And the sad part is, the experts in how to do that are the British, but Tony Blair decided to wipe W's butt rather than point out the possible alternatives to a "War on Terror."

I hate to sound like a wacko conspiracy theorist, but my take on why Iraq is that W had a grudge over Saddam wanting to kill his daddy, and allowed Cheney and the Saudis to convince him to go to war.

I also pause when I think of the arguments of Mister ACLU and the Agitator, who wouldn't give any "police" solution the time of day. But at least if we treated terrorism as a lawlessness issue, rather than a war issue, we could fight any threat to civil liberties from that basis, rather than this "enemy combatants have no rights" crap.

It does seem to me that framing the fight on terror as a "war" has benefitted the fascists. Period.

Dena (goddess and genius) recommends Karen Armstrong's The Battle For God as a good lesson in the dangers of fundamentalism of any stripe...perhaps it takes the wind outta the sails of anyone who sees this as a "holy" war, too.

A comment on Daily Kos

Concerning all the hullabaloo over Bush and the Constitutional Piece of Paper (my post from Dec. 13) I wanted to say a public thank you to the Daily Kos'ers who corrected me with tact, decency, and a nod to simply getting the truth out. No flames, and no insincere politeness-police mumbo jumbo. Blue Gal can handle rude more easily than politeness police.

I loved what Kate R. said at another blog: "My first thought was only a bunch o' liberals would even care about reliability. Don't see OReilly giving a damn about that kind of detail."

I sometimes fear our downfall is our love of truth. Then I think of Jesus and Pilate.

Yesterday, my admiration of Daily Kos and its community increased. Thanks again.

5 comments:

  1. I read Capitol Hill Blue's rebuttal, and he's clearly standing by the story. I wonder what he did to deserve the Kossacks disrespect.

    I guess we may never find out if this story is apocryphal or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had read that piece before I saw your link to it. I may have followed a link from Nevada Thunder. I'd never read Capitol Hill Blue before, so I have no idea what the history is.

    Does anyone have a link to that rebuttal by CHB?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Qwerty, look at Blue Gal's post yesterday -- she has a link to the rebuttal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a greater explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And whose fault is that? Not really his. He didn't create this situation of fear; he merely exploited it— and rather successfully. Cassius was right. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves that we are underlings."
    Good night, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!