1. Insists that her bf pick out a perfect sweater pattern for himself. Shows him thirty-five or so "options."
2. Opens up several crates of yarn to show him more "options" for yarn but he can't possibly want brown or navy.
3. Knits the sweater during NFL football games, interrupting fourth down for a "fitting" or two while the sweater is in progress.
4. Rips out the sweater halfway through because she doesn't like the combination of yarn and pattern. Picks out a pattern she DOES like, after all, knitter's choice.
5. Gives him the new sweater based on the new pattern she picked out. Points out how much of a "labor of love" it was to make.
6. He breaks up with her, she runs to her knitting circle. See? Curse of the boyfriend sweater.
I am heavily indebted to this Knitty post. Sweater pic from "Bad Sweater Guy," naturally.