Tuesday, January 23

SOTU and possible outcomes for Iraq

Seriously I think I'd rather watch back-to-back "World Series of Video Games" than tonight's speech. Yes, I'd still want to blow my brains out during the show, but at least on WSVG the outcome is not predictable.

Thank God I don't have TV.

Now I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on the Middle East, and maybe that's a good thing for the purpose of this post. Because I think it would be helpful for policy makers in Washington* to hear it from a non-expert civilian just how things appear from her perspective. There are a limited number of outcomes, it seems to me, for Iraq:

1. Iraq gets partitioned into four separate Iraqs: Sunni, Shiite, Kurd, and Chevron.

2. Iraq gets a permanent nation-repair-lift at the Halliburton Nation Repair and School Paint Shop (see the SOTU tonight, betcha).

3. Iraq develops a Swiss-style democracy in less than 18 months and changes its National Anthem to Kum-Ba-Ya.

4. Well, since the policy maker in Washington clearly still believes in number 4, we might as well bring up his second-favorite fantasy, the "Scooby Doo" ending:




*(and apparently there is only really one policy maker since he's decided he doesn't need any advice except from Cheney.)

8 comments:

  1. i'll watch, not sure why i will and the fact that i will, says something about my mental health and it's not good.
    i'm sure there's a long medical term for it but i've enough labels hung round my neck as it is! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:17 PM

    Bush is a recovered? alcoholic who simply will not admit defeat.

    Because he is a born-again Christian, he sees the world very much in terms of black vs white--good versus evil.

    Thus it is highly unlikely he will ever agree to pull the troops out unless funding is cut.

    He is a lame duck and he knows it. He has a VP who hopefully will go the way of Spiro Agnew who he is not listening to, as you mentioned.

    I wonder who he'd select as VP if Cheney was forced to resign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:18 PM

    And at this point in time, he is concerned about reputation.

    He has a 35% approval rating. Nearly 3/4th of all people think we should be out of Iraq.

    He does not want to go down in history as a man who lost a war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i shudder to think on that. what if it would be santorum??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:42 PM

    U watch it. I can't bear to look at w lie and lie and lie in service to only himself. mebbe I'll tune in to jim webb later.
    Now Saddam, there was a leader. I share another sentiment by a southerner--they hanged the wrong man when they hanged saddam. Look out w, the surge is coming right back at us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard a bit of it on the radio while driving home, and then quickly changed the station. Hearing Bush speak for more than ten seconds would force me to drive my car off the road.

    ReplyDelete
  7. webb was well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:51 PM

    it's MEDDLING kids!

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!