Thursday, May 21

Change him to a nun, he's still a Newt.

It's not just that Gingrich doesn't realize that people can look up what he said five years or five minutes ago on the internet tubes. Newt has become a Catholic, I believe, because old-style Catholicism buys into what he (and Republicanism) have believed all along: that you may not be perfect, but you are always forgiven, provided you profess loyalty and devotion to the ideology involved. So as long as you SAY you believe in the Holy Catholic See/Grand Old Party ideology, no matter how much you lie or how big a hypocrite you are, the indulgences will come at you fast and easy.

From Wikipedia, which in this case is a pretty accurate rendition:

An indulgence, in Roman Catholic theology, is the full or partial remission of temporal punishment due for sins which have already been forgiven. The indulgence is granted by the church after the sinner has confessed and received absolution. The belief is that indulgences draw on the storehouse of merit acquired by Jesus' sacrifice and the virtues and penances of the saints. They are granted for specific good works and prayers.

The Republican Party and the 24 hour news cycle (that apparently needs them to fill up 'fair and balanced' programming minutes) doles out indulgences all the time. That's why compulsive gambler Bill Bennett and Christian Right/Gambling benefactor Ralph Reed can appear on CNN as Republican analysts and Wolf Blitzer doesn't bat a eye. It's why Newt Gingrich himself is allowed into the green room at This Week any Sunday morning he likes, whether Paul Krugman sits next to him or not.

It's why despite his horrible record and affairs and total hypocrisy he may be the standard bearer of his party, the party of family values, in 2012.

And notice, John Edwards won't.

10 comments:

  1. I honestly believe that contrary to what F. Scott Fitzgerald said, there are second acts in America. Edwards could rebrand himself after a time, but not for years.

    We have notoriously short term memory in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have nun of this Newt. He's a bad habit that America must cloister away.

    ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fantastic analogy, BG. I suppose the media as a whole are selling indulgences to the audience - selling us crap we don't need telling us it somehow makes us better people (or at least better informed) to listen to slimy Newt and any of the lyin' Cheney clan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't laugh at His Holiness Newt I.
    The potential of the Catholic Blogsphere is staggering. It is ready made and ready to go for someone like Newt to add his campaign speeches to their fanatical non-stop 24/7 anti-abortion, anti-Obama crusade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Batocchio, please,

    Give me an indulgence so I don't have to listen to them anymore.

    Please.

    And to finish your sentence, BG (and you don't need my suggestion really as I assumed it was on your mind also as you wrote), "or whomever you're presently fucking (over). . ."

    So as long as you SAY you believe in the Holy Catholic See/Grand Old Party ideology, no matter how much you lie or how big a hypocrite you are, the indulgences will come at you fast and easy.And Mike, as you already know, no one needs to tout Newt's newly found catholicity too loudly - he didn't convert because he got religion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liars all of them. Hypocrites all of them. Your heroes are just as guilty of everything you spew at your enemies so what is the point of any of this crap? Are you such a lonely girl that trying to analyze politicians and discovering they lie is worthy of the time involved in creating and maintaining this blog? God lady, get over politics and the idiots that comprise its membership. You need to refocus your energy on perhaps baking cookies for your husband or maybe a nice flower garden to spruce up the front of your house. Who does your laundry? I get the feeling you are too busy staring at CNN or MSNBC liberal brainwashing to get even a load done. Turn off the world news and polish the bath tub fixtures or something. I bet you could be a lot more productive and make your man a lot happier if you would just quit whining about Newt Gingrich or George Bush and cook up a really nice dinner for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. John honey! What a pleasure. Tell me, what are you cooking and polishing for your husband tonight? I love sharing tips.

    Your comment and blogroll mention made my day. Thanks for the linky love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I figured you're way too slick to try to argue politics so I might as well belittle women. Usually gets a rise. Brace yourself, I will undoubtedly credit an unusually heavy cycle and agonizing cramps with more illogical liberal opinions down the road. Hope you don't mind. As for sharing tips, and since same sex marriage is not yet available to fags in my state, (I must still maintain this heterosexual facade), I made a delicious shrimp basil cream sauce over pasta for dinner and served half to my German Shepard. He was delighted, but still barfed it up several times before it finally took. I must say one thing BG. Your reply has actually softened my hostile bitter exterior by not mentioning my penis, my mother or my inability to "say it to my face" in real life situations. Also not revealing that my IP comes from a trailer park in West Virginia was kind as well. You're the first liberal who managed to kick me in the balls without my knowing while maintaining composure. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible. Incredible that the loathsome lizard still slithers forward. He has his gimlet eye on 2012.

    Honestly, I can't wait. Bring it, bitch!

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!