Wednesday, March 3

Rest In Peace, Jon Swift

We all wondered what had happened to him, particularly since he did not come forward even for his own baby, Blogroll Amnesty Day.

Jon Swift passed away on February 27
. His mom left this comment at the last post to his blog:

I don't know how else to tell you all who love this blog. I am Jon Swift's Mom and I guess I'm going to OUT him. He was Al Weisel, my beloved son. Al was on his way to his father's funeral in VA when he suffered 2 aortic aneurysms, a leaky aortic valve and an aortic artery dissection from his heart to his pelvis. He had 3 major surgeries within 24 hours and sometime during those surgeries also suffered a severe stroke. We, his 2 sisters, his brother, his partner and his best friend since he was 9 years old were with him as he took his last breath. We have all lost a shining start who warmed our hearts, tormented us and made us laugh as he giggled at our pulling something over on us. He passed away on February 27, 2010. My beloved child will live on in so many hearts. I miss him more than I can say. If you are on Facebook, go to organizations and join "Friends of Al Weisel, Unite!" It will give you just a taste of how special he was. Farewell, Jon (Al)

3/02/2010 8:14 AM

Jon Swift was already terribly missed because he stopped blogging abruptly last March. He was not only a very talented blogger, he was a true blog citizen. He linked to all of us, cared passionately about the community of small bloggers, and was one of the best at giving the ones and zeros in which we bloggers interact some heart and soul. And he was very funny.

Love to his family and may he rest in peace.

18 comments:

  1. This news makes me terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god. No. I can't believe it.

    I will miss him

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. What a sad, sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what to say... I guess this is the first time I've had to face a death in the blogosphere since I started playing here a couple of years ago. With tears running down my face, I'm much more upset than I would have guessed.

    Such an awful loss...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sad day. I loved him. He was an inspiration; smart, witty without being mean, and so all-around brilliant - and inclusive of smaller bloggers via Blog Amnesty. The world is less for his loss. My heart goes out to his family and to the blogosphere which has lost one of its brightest lights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my.
    That is sad news indeed.

    Thank you for the info, even if it is terribly sad.
    He was already missed, we maybe thought that some day he would just show up again, it seems that will never happen.
    God Speed, Al.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very sad news. Jon Swift was an awesome blogger and an awesome citizen of the blogosphere - I'd wondered what happened to him. Thank you for letting us know, Blue Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He had a gift. It's so terribly sad to know hear that he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad day. Truly sad day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. Thank you for letting us know. What a loss to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He was extraordinarily generous and kind to me & promoted my blog on several occasions. In private correspondence he was helpful, kind, and direct. And of course, his own site was wonderful.

    It's going to take a while to absorb this one. What a gut-punch, and what a horror for his family.

    I hope that the love we show for him will bring them some solace, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came rather late to knowing his works - but in the time that was available, his formidable wit and espousal of community among bloggers made a mighty impression.

    Condolences to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for letting me know earlier today - I've been shattered all day.

    Well, I'm going to toast his life tonight, and enjoy the laughter, because I think that he was all about smart and funny (and kind and generous).

    And really, what more is there?

    Much love,

    Tengrain

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was an honor having him nominate me for best comic strip a couple years back for the Weblog Awards. His wit and warm generosity are deeply missed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe it.

    Jon/Al, artist and friend to artists, is not supposed to leave us this soon.

    I can't believe it.
    I won't accept it. This news is so tragic and awful, it can't possibly be true.

    I'd been missing Jon's writing for a long time, but this kind of missing--the grieving kind--is immeasurably worse.

    Jon's loved ones are in my thoughts tonight.

    Thank you, Blue Gal, for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a shame. He was a true mensch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just heard this sad news...

    This man, Al Weisel, did more for little Lilliputian bloggers like me by inventing Blogroll Amnesty Day than he will ever know. Somebody commented that he was a true "citizen blogger" and I think that label is aptly put when speaking of Jon Swift. The name fit him to a Gulliver's Travels T.

    Look Up and Link Down NOW. Long live Blogroll Amnesty Day and Jon Swift.
    Its a tribe thang.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!