Tuesday, March 27

The blog against theocracy blogswarm.
Easter Weekend 2007



Tengrain of Mock, Paper, Scissors designed this amazing logo.

Tengrain is among the best. So is Neural Gourmet, who has turned this wee idea into a huge, huge movement.

And Liz (brand new to me, but wow.) at I Speak of Dreams has also done an amazing job with logos here. Use whichever you want. You can link back to this post or to Neural's here.

I love you guys. Love. You.

There are no real guidelines to this. Here are some tips that might help, but really, I'm not into herding cats so this is your own thang.

The idea is to post at least once from Friday to Sunday Easter Weekend, April 6-8.

The post will be against theocracy, in favor of our Constitutional guarantee of separation of church and state. But there are a LOT of issues tied to this, as is pointed out in the First Freedom First website:

No religious discrimination.
PRO End-of-Life Care (no more Terri Schiavo travesties)
Reproductive health decisions made by individuals, not religious "majorities"
Democracy not Theocracy
Academic Integrity (like, a rock is as old as it is, not as old as the Bible says)
Sound Science (good bye so-called "intelligent" design)
Respect for ALL families (based on love, not sexual orientation. Hellooooo.)
And finally,
The right to worship, OR NOT.

So take your pick and write your post(s). Really, the wider variety of topics makes it all the more interesting. I can't wait to read what Pharyngula has to say about sound science, or what some of you will have to say about reproductive choice as it relates to church/state separation, or how a religionist blogger feels about their own freedom to worship and how that is compromised by state sponsored religion. (That's my topic, fwiw.)

I want to make it clear that First Freedom First is NOT a "sponsor" of this blogswarm, I'm not on their payroll, etc. They've just been incredibly helpful and on the right side of all the issues above and I give them as much support as I can.

I also think of them as, while not a sponsor, as the central clearinghouse of information on Separation of Church and State issues. If you go to their website and click on "resources" you'll find articles, book recommendations, etc. So if you don't know what to blog about that weekend, you won't be stuck after a visit there.

There is an interesting back and forth in Neural's comment thread involving yours truly...someone commented that it was hard for him "to imagine that religionists can separate church and state. Religion, no matter which flavor, is at the root of their belief system and subsequently their reality and expectations of the world around them."

Part of my reply:

Lots of agnostics and atheists are surprised to learn that a great many financial contributors to Americans United for the Separation of Church and State are regular churchgoers. I am. Among the big supporters of that group are Christian Scientists and Seventh Day Adventists (I would imagine Quakers too, Dave?) who know for a fact that as outsider Christian groups, they are first up against the wall if the Dobsons and Falwells get their way.

...As a self-professed Christian, and that's really all I can lay claim to, my own sins keep me busy 24/7/365. I'm either doing 'em or repenting 'em, and hopefully the good outweighs the bad.

A significant number of religionists actually GET IT that the freedom to practice their religion comes from the glorious gift of the First Amendment to the US Constitution. And actually, separation of church and state goes back farther than that. There was this old timey Jewish preacher who said something once about render unto Caesar...

I'm so excited and supportive of this blogswarm, I can't tell you. And what is most exciting is the participation of atheist and science bloggers, who are smart and thoughtful and well, I'm just honored to be doing something with them.


I really hope this blogswarm does more than just let the world know how we feel about the separation of Church and State. I hope it improves and awakens how we feel about each other. I may be a "believer" whatever the hell that means, but I can't have too many smart, funny, and fascinating, atheists, scientists, agnostics, GLBT bloggers, etc. etc. around here. Who the fuck did JESUS hang out with, anyway? I don't think if he were here today, Jesus would have a beer with some hypocritical preacherman, even if the preacherman was buying. MY God is Love, and Mind, and Truth. And this blogswarm is all about those. Thanks for participating.

_______________

One detail we're still working out is whether and if to have a linkfest someplace. I thought about asking the FFF people to do that, but that then gets into sponsorship, which we really don't want. I'd be happy to start a new blog full of links or a post with links here. Anybody see a problem or a solution? Leave a comment.

15 comments:

  1. Religion, no matter which flavor, is at the root of their [meaning my] belief system and subsequently their reality and expectations of the world around them.

    Yes, and your point? Why is that such a threat to so many progressives or secular humanists or atheists or agnostics or whatevers? My religion informs my politics, and vice-versa. It makes me a better progressive, and a better Friend.

    But that doesn't mean I want you to join up and sit next to me on the bench if you don't want to be there. Better if you stay home. The difference is that if you want to come along, I'll be happy you're there. Heck, I'll drive you and buy the coffee (it's free after Meeting anyways).

    And BG is right: Quakers were a royal pain in the ass back in olde England, and many of them were jailed, flogged, hanged, drowned, burned, and otherwise persecuted for rocking the State church's boat. I've already been told at my place and others by a number of Dominionist types that I'm not really a Christian, that Quakers aren't really Christians, and that they don't see my worldview as being Christian.

    Which means, yes, they'll be coming for me, too.

    So, I'll see y'all at the wall, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a queer, atheist Rabbinical school drop out in medical ethics, I'm joining in.

    Thank you for doing this. I look forward to reading everyone's posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting the two dates 6 and 8 are the same dates one reporter predicts will be one of the two dates Bush attacks Iran.

    Sorry, lost the source, but more power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, when is Easter Weekend, anyway? I'm serious. I'm really behind about these things. I didn't even give up anything for Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey BG, this is GREAT!! Please do have a linkfest somewhere ... you know, in case we all want to do this again!

    BAC

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'll have a little something on mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea Blue Gal! We will of course, support this effort at Talk to Action www.TalktoAction.org

    We oppose theocratic stuff every day at Talk to Action, because umm, that's what we do! Good to be part of the swarm:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ack! address correction:

    Talk to Action www.Talk2Action.org

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in :)
    Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:34 PM

    You can count me in for sure. I don't get much traffic either but I will definitely participate.

    I've made a side-banner to contribute to the effort. Blogger won't let me post it here unfortunately so you'll have to come download it.

    I changed the wording in this banner to read "Blog Against American Theocracy," in case people think it is another anti-Muslim thing... rooting for a war in Iran, to overthrow Iranian theocratic rule or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea! Yes, I think either a separate blog or linkroll here would be a good idea, whatever you think is easiest to manage.

    (Hehe, I've written several posts on religion and theocracy this past month, so I'll have to ponder some new angles.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a good idea, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:31 PM

    I've got a baby blog, a LiveJournal (a training blog?), and a journal or two on various sites. I'll be sure to join in on this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:06 PM

    Reconstitution has been railing about Jesusistan since its inception.

    We make the notation "Jesusistan" to differentiate from "Christian"-we feature Christians (those who live their lives according to the teachings of Jesus Christ) in our blogroll. We feature Jesusistanis, quite often, in the postings of Reconstitution.

    Count us in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:56 PM

    These comments have been invaluable to me as is this whole site. I thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!