Friday, October 10

And now, I've got time to think?


So I've been thinking about just how important blogging is to me and that I'm sitting here with a bum leg, and I could be knitting, but instead I'm here at the laptop (which I would not own without the blogosphere). I'm sitting here looking at other blogs, composing a movie, which will be a tribute to some great photoshoppers I've come to work with and love.

A comment I left at one blog long ago seems worth talking about again. I've edited it a bit because I can, ha.

I've been blogging for almost four years this Election Day.

During that time I joined The Aristocrats, which yes, is a "group" blog, but it's more parallel play in the gifted classroom than interaction on the playground. I drop in and leave a note there when I have time and inspiration. Sandy, Mark, and Paul use that blog as their primary blogging place, and without them it would not exist.

I recently discovered that I had hung out at the record/comic store of Crooks and Liars long enough that they had to make me staff. What's lovely about that is, it really didn't change the traffic flow of this blog a bit. I get just a few hits a day from there. Most of my readers fall in the amazing category of "no referring link": people come here just because. I am in awe of that every single goddamn day.

I sense I'm not posting as many pairs of panties as I did before.

I don't read Eschaton or Digby or Americablog and while I used to think it was because I was a small blog snob, I have visited these more recently and it's not that anymore. I'm like Duncan and everyone else in that I only have so much time to dig into the blogosphere. Blogs are art: I prefer small galleries to huge MFA blockbusters. It's fun to see what artists of every stripe are doing, but your feet get tired after a while (especially on these mofo crutches).

11 comments:

  1. Rubber wheels beat rubber heels every time.
    Just something to ponder.
    Get well soon.

    Busted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:27 PM

    BG

    So glad you are coming to terms with the blogosphere it not small vs big is what works best for you.

    I have been hanging at the econ blogs for the past 18 months but I always find time for you.

    OG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there and feel better.

    Who wouldn't come here "just because..."

    This is a place of information, news, refuge and actually hope in the blogosphere. You rock sister and your never ending commitment to blogging and to all of us is such a light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the quantity of your panty posting seems to directly correlate to the nation's dwindling supply of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:32 PM

    As I read more and more blogs, I'm struck by all the talent "out there." I hope you're up and about soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope you feel better very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:07 PM

    I'm totally with you. I have limited blog-reading time, and I'd so much rather spend it giving my eyeballs to creative small bloggers than being the eleventybillionth visit of the day to motherfucking Atrios. And the small blog shit is so much less predictable, it is much more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Where am I?

    No, really. Where am I?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:06 PM

    I just don't read the big blogs, just like I don't watch the MSM. I'm not about conventional wisdom. I don't like being told what to think.

    The creativity, the insight, and frankly, the voice of the smaller blogs appeals to me. Each is so unique, so precious (in the good sense), and so worthwhile. It is like having real, home made ice cream vs. having that crap from Baskin Robbins.

    As for the panties, BG, you'll get back to them. Face it, you've been in transition this year. Your world has changed as radically as I could ever imagine.

    Regards,

    Tengrain (who is wishing you a speedy recovery)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey BG
    Just offering some empathy and commiseration. I broke my ankle in May. It totally sucked. It was a major pain in the ass but, 5 months later, I'm at about 90%. You'll get there too.
    SAM
    ps DO ALL OF YOUR PT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm afraid you're mistaken about one thing.

    "...and I could be knitting..."

    What do you think your ankle's doing, anyway?

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!