Tuesday, September 29

I think I'm disqualified overqualified.



As you probably know by now, Washington Post is having a contest to find America's Next Great Pundit. Really, they astonish me with their 1969 understanding of the internet. But make sure to read the fine print, ma hunnies:

Entrants may not have previously written or contributed to a regular column in a major national publication in print or online.

Sponsor shall determine, in its sole discretion, what constitutes a "regular column", "major national publication" and "contributed".


That's funny, they never determined the meaning of those words when they hired Bill Kristol.

In addition, entrants should be aware that if you ever typed "Wapo must suck on purpose" and clicked on the "Publish Post" button, you're out.


UPDATE: At the urging of a couple colleagues who think I might slip by, and also on the ground that if I'm disqualified by virtue of blogging, that's bloggable, I entered the contest.

If I'm not disqualified, then Digby will probably win. Maybe this is all a conspiracy to get her on the roster without going through the hiring rigamarole.


UPDATE II: Okay, Digby and I** thrown together in some hot blogger action RedTube pretense could not match Sandy Underpantses qualifications for dat job.

I think torture's great. I'm a fuckin' shoe-in.

And I think I should win because then I'll be able to travel to DC and make myself accessible so wapo editors can stop by and suck my dick.



** Understanding of course, that this is an intermediate level feminist blog.

11 comments:

  1. i think i would have liked to have seen the staff lounge with you and kristol in it- just for a minute or so :) you are so overqualified :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Betmo my first honest to God reaction was, "how are they gonna disqualify Digby and Driftglass because God knows Kristol couldn't stand it" and they did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're on to their madness, BG.

    And Kristol knows better than to enter a room you're in. He's toast just thinking about it.

    Good luck!

    S

    Not to mention Dg!

    If I'm not disqualified, then Digby will probably win. Maybe this is all a conspiracy to get her on the roster without going through the hiring rigamarole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any guesses what tool they will hire? Because I think you and digby, et al. don't have a chance in hell. For the wrong reasons, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:07 AM

    ..."After each round, a panel of Post personalities will offer kudos and catcalls, and reader votes will help to determine who gets another chance at a byline and who has to shut down their laptop."

    "Post Personalities" not editors? Gee we are back in high school. The cool Kids get to decide who can join their cliques.

    I will vote for you ma honey.

    OG

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will apply. I will write a "blog" for WaPo. I will not be controversial like Dan Froomkin. I will be humorless. I will give real "street cred" to WaPo. I am very excited about this new career!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm not even going to enter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Understanding of course, that this is an intermediate level feminist blog.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA! Je t'adore, Fran. You totally deserve to have a regular gig poking a stick into the Village wasp nest, and it is my profound hope that you win. Keep us posted, okay?

    XXX
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've inspired me to enter as well. Here's my "about me" entry:

    "I think you'll find my qualifications impeccable. I hate hippies, love torture, become sexually aroused at the thought of invading other countries, and every opinion I've expressed in the last fifteen years has proven to be dead wrong. I'll fit right in."

    Then I dashed off 200 words on why Obama needs to attack Iran to protect America.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:27 PM

    I'm really fond of Whiskey Fire's application letter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy's got a real shot. I think you'll enjoy Thers' entry, though.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!