Friday, September 1

A time for reflection



There seems to be a movement afoot to get us all to take some time for quiet reflection.

Quasar9 sent this video to several of us bloggers, to invite us all to take a moment.

just-a-minute is about experiencing the power of a peaceful and still mind, starting with just one minute at a time. It's a growing movement for people who feel the need to pause and reflect in the midst of a frenetic modern lifestyle.


Just a tip for the marketing people on that one. People who really, actively pursue "a peaceful and still mind" never use the word "lifestyle." The publishers of Yoga Journal's Balanced Living Magazine are the only ones who think you can have inner peace and a lifestyle at the same time. And we're not talking to them.

Secondly, the "source of enlightenment" in that cute cartoon looks suspiciously like the pissed-off "planet" of Pluto. Beware.

Okay, just in case (after Rummy called us all fascist enablers) you still don't think we're kinda re-living the Vietnam Era, there's a be-in (oh, come on, that's what it is) on September 17, diff is you can "be-in" online, natch. Once I do the math and figure out whether it's in the middle of the night or not, I do plan to join.

And there's a big shindig called "Dropping Knowledge" going on in Germany this month to bring thinkers together for discussion, sharing and I guess bonding. Again, I'm not putting it down. It sounds cool. Hey, Willem Dafoe can moderate me anytime. And Wim Wenders, Cindy Sheehan, and Laurie Anderson are involved too. Just remember, the idea behind that Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour film was also, "Hey, let's get some oddball cream-of-cool people together and see what happens." Answer thirty-nine years ago? Nothing.

But for those of you who feel the ability to live in a peaceful present moment is elusive, you may wish to follow Blue Gal's simple three-step process to inner peace.

1. Give birth to three children in the space of six years.

2. Wait two years more.

3. One lovely September morning, drive them all to school and pre-school. Drop them off.

Aaaah. That's much better.

12 comments:

  1. well, cheney and rummy and wolfie did all meet during nixon's 'presidency.' that is where the seeds of this glorious administration were planted. guess that is just one more link to the "seven degrees of vietnam" game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahahahahaaaa!!! I love your steps to "inner peace." My 2 oldest just started school, and the 2 littlest are in daycare. I think this morning's commute to work was the first 45 minutes of peace and quiet that I've had since... oh... 1996? I kept looking in the back seat because it didn't seem feasible that I would be anywhere alone, much less in silence! Without laundry, even!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that little video. Thanks for sharing.

    No peace here, at least till Meeting on First day next: the storm is coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My own most peaceful time of day is early in the morning when I take my little dog outside. It's just little dog, the stars and me. None of us make a sound but we sure do enjoy each others company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three cheers for step three (and you're doing a particularly good job with steps 1 and 2).

    I've got a few more days before the ahhhhhhhhhh, but to be fair, mine are older. I've heard from a usually reliable source that three under five is worse than five under ten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 kids? I would rather do yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Okay, just in case (after Rummy called us all fascist enablers) you still don't think we're kinda re-living the Vietnam Era, there's a be-in (oh, come on, that's what it is) on September 17, diff is you can "be-in" online, natch. Once I do the math and figure out whether it's in the middle of the night or not, I do plan to join. "

    well, there's really nothing new under the sun as it is said and maybe a be in or a sit in or a bed in, a love in, is one way to go. it is an awful lot like the 6o's and early 70's, been there, done that and i swear, some of the players in the current administration never got over and probably swore revenge over nixon being run out of power and the people and the PRESS having the belief and the guts to bring it about. so, update what worked for us back then, make it this generation and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this was what dropping knowledge was all about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. qwerty,
    Dropping knowledge... Ha! Dropping! Hoooo Agggghhhhh! Nice pics.

    BG,
    Nice post my friend. Good to see you or "virtually" see you that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bush doesn't get any peace and quiet until I get some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, that peaceful mind stuff never works for me. Being peaceful makes me want to slug someone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh Blue Gal, wish I were in the US
    Love The Peace Train logo. Liberals, democrats & greens should join forces on this one, and it could really gain momentum

    When Kerry's slogan was
    No to the War
    the democrats were on a winner.
    when kerry started backtracking:
    "well now we are there we gotta stay & sort out the mess..."
    Then the peace train got derailed

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!