Sunday, April 1

Yup, Lent's Over


This is kind of a religious post, but non-believers I've got some stuff for you, too. Welcome to Holy Week, as opposed to Holy Crap (and thanks for the linky love yesterday, Mike.) Back to the hippie-chick banner.

Lots of thoughts swirling around my head today. Have been having a mild debate with a friend over whether we humans are "deserving" of happiness. Friend's position (and they can email me if I'm mis-stating their position) is that those who have suffered deserve at least some happiness in return.

I tend, particularly at this time of year, to think of love as not deserved. We don't "deserve" the love of God, it's given to us freely and unconditionally. That probably goes against the teachings of some churchy types. (Tough.) If we think of that higher power as a divine parent, then there are disciplinary lessons and there are hugs and treats and time-outs. It's all done for us with love but we are being raised in some way, aren't we?

Okay, now for the non-believers out there (love you guys, unconditionally, and I mean that).

The author of the blog God is for Suckers (equal time? there ya go) wrote me that they are participating in the Blog Against Theocracy blogswarm (can't have too many atheists, I mean that, too). Edited the email a little for publication, but the message is exactly what I want from this blogswarm:

It could be important for Atheists to see that there are Christians who don't buy into the Jerry Dobertson model of US governance. And if educated Christians who surf the blogosphere see that there is a growing groundswell of moderate and liberal Christians speaking out, they may be emboldened to shout down the Jerry-Dobertson-Machine. One can hope...("Jerry Dobertson" is a conflation of Jerry Falwell, James Dobson and Pat Rob ertson. Doesn't he sound like a used-car salesman???)


Nope, sounds like a closeted preacher to me.

On the topic of calling out the theocrats, I've been very grateful that John at Crooks and Liars has been speaking as a Catholic against the lunacy of Donohue.

Happy Sunday, folks.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, BlueGal!
    As usual, you blog is a good and informative read. BTW, have you seen this:

    Congress Urges Americans to Pray

    (I hope I did that link correctly this time)
    Just in time for the Blog Against Theocracy. I'm appalled to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, I don't know if sufering always factors into it. I think everyone deserves to be happy.

    Especially really good people.

    I think that's also what God wants. That's why we get many of the gifts we receive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:09 PM

    yeah, me girl be back! still, I will always see ye as me blue A.J.! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!