Sunday, February 10

The Euphemism Contest

Where you can win...the honor of winning.

I cracked up at a statement in a recent New Yorker about one of the "guests" at Obama's poker games when he was a State Senator in Springfield Illinois:

Yet, even with the beer drinking and cigarette smoking, there were unspoken rules of conduct. When a married lobbyist arrived at a Springfield game with a person described as

“an inebriated woman companion who did not acquit herself in a particularly wholesome fashion,”


Obama made a face indicating that he wasn’t pleased. Link says that the lobbyist and his date were “quickly whisked out of the place.”


Your mission for this contest is to write a sentence about the election race, Republican or Democrat or both, which is a complete euphemism. Leave your entry in comments below. The winner will be announced sometime on Wednesday, February 20.

7 comments:

  1. Just gotta say I wish I could write like that.

    “an inebriated woman companion who did not acquit herself in a particularly wholesome fashion,”

    Its dismissive and atrocious, but eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the atrociousness of it is what makes it so delicious as a euphemism, but one does wonder what if the lobbyist had been "inebriated and not acquitting himself in a particularly wholesome fashion." Perhaps he was, and was given a totally politically incorrect pass, as that kind of behavior might be expected of lobbyists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one faces the inevitable Hobson's Choice in November, one must persist in the thankless task of triaging various levels of excrement, from bloody to projectile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:00 PM

    I had one all ready to go but my ADD ate it. I'll get back to you on this. Saw you at the General's and was reminded that I don't get out like I used to.

    Andrew Card, onetime Bushco liepeddler (and former MA GOP Commissar) got popped for DWI once. Former Governor, Bill Weld (not TOO bad as reptiliscum go) told the press that he did observe the gentleman with a glass of amber liquid. It almost sounded like Andy was drinking piss, then again, he's a republican.

    democommie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:10 PM

    Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, Patti Solis Doyle, said that she was stepping down to spend more time with her family; the Clinton campaign noted that her resignation had nothing to do with the campaign's recent loses.

    Does that count? Oh wait....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:19 PM

    pissed in NYC:

    Only if Ms. Doyle is single and an orphan.

    democommie

    ReplyDelete
  7. President George W. Bush, at a press conference on October 30, 2008 - "My fellow Amurican's. I am sorry to have to announce that after a meeting with the vice-president, my advisors, heads of the CIA and FBI and the generals, we have come to the difficult decision that it is in the nation's best interest to postpone the election until the beginning of next year and to raise our terror alert level to red based on some top secret intelligence we intercepted from Alcaida. I know many of you will be very disappointed, but as you know, I only do things that I believe to be in the nation's best interest as I believe this to be today. I won't be taking any questions today. Thank you for your continued support."

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!