Thursday, July 19

Happy Blogosphere Day



In spite of Al Franken's vain and pathetic attempts to win a Blue Gal endorsement...

I see that a number of great blogs, including my personal fave Crooks and Liars, are celebrating Blogosphere Day to raise money for progressive candidates in upcoming elections. Good for them, and if you are so inclined, give money, even a small amount, to the ActBlue page linked here, or to Al Franken's Midwest Values PAC here. Put the panties down now, Al.

I’ve changed my mind about the blogosphere lately, and am less impressed with the “big” versus “little” blog dichotomy I thought existed a short while ago. I still think it is okay that not all blogs join the netroots. Blogs do not have to advocate for candidates or work to win elections to be valid contributors to this thing called the blogosphere.

We won some elections last November, and I don’t think the problems we are facing now stem from “we didn’t win big enough.” We thought, and we continue to think, that the political process in and of itself is a solution to the world’s problems. It may or may not be part of the solution, but we have had our hearts broke of late by people who were supposed to be on our side. People we voted for with our ballots and cheered in our hearts have let us down in the name of career preservation and insider politics. Oh want a link? Go read Corrente on a regular basis, to start with.

For me, the blogosphere is more than politics. It is what one friend this morning called my lifeline. I need to read the blogs listed on the sidebar. I need to hear from them, and respond to their artistry and writing and passion. I don’t particularly care if they are raising money for a congressional race, or not. If it is about expressing a commitment to making the world a better place, doing so with artistry and humor and passion, it is enough.

9 comments:

  1. So are you going to blogroll Eschaton now! lol, just kidding.

    I think it's only appropriate that people should have shifting emotions regarding the blogs. It's going to take decades before these things start to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is about expressing a commitment to making the world a better place, doing so with artistry and humor and passion, it is enough.

    ...which is why we're so proud to be on your blogroll.

    (Not that I'm not all for raising money for good candidates, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:19 PM

    Good writing is good writing where ever you find it, and I always find it here.

    For 2 days my internet connection has been down. I missed my blogs, not just the news, but the camaraderie and shared values.

    Thanks BG for always being there.

    PS: I sent a nasty note to Buzz Feed for working the panties angle again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the thoughtful commentary.
    I'm bothered by the big vs. little thing; feels too much like middle school. I blog because I like to write and otherwise my spouse would have to listen to me go on and on with all the stuff in my head. I read blogs because I like the camaraderie (Is that really spelled like that? It looks so ... awkward)and there are interesting, kind, wonderful people out there. Some bloggers seem to act like kingmakers, which is a little disconcerting. On the other hand, perhaps it will catch on and we'll actually elect some true progressives. Ah, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:57 PM

    I'm always surprised by the little blogs, but the so-called A-List blogs rarely hold my attention. And besides, as Groucho said, I would never want to be part of any club that would have me.

    And honestly, I'm always startled that anyone reads MPS -- don't they have anything better to do with their time? Sheesh!

    Small-time blogger with a heart of gold,

    Tengrain

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm not bothered by big v. little but i am bothered by elite v. the rest of us, which kind of happens naturally when a blog gets a lot of readers.

    anyway i tend to spend a lot more time w/the medium to small blogs, c&l and firedoglake being the two exceptions therein (i also stop by talkleft now and then).

    as for blogosphere day, everyone knows it's blogtopia, and beyond that, i'm not giving any money to democrats until they grow a spine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have to check in here every day.

    there's something missing in my day if i don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Humor. I need humor along with the bad news about the people we elected that seem to have forgotten WHY we elected them.

    That's why I come here. Because now the sight of panties cheers me up. New panties. New posts!

    But not every blog can be 'significant'--God knows mine isn't. And I'm not as smart as BG, but I'll let her carry the torch for me and support her in all the small ways that I can.

    Cuz she learns me stuff.

    Thanks, BG, for all ya do and blog about.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:39 AM

    I'm a new reader, and I'm impressed. Generally, I don't have too much time to post on blogs--but when I have had something to say it has usually been on "smaller" blogs such as nonesoblind, ( a little too stuffy) or Candide's Notebooks (Pierre Tristam's blog.) Came by this way via the incomparable Drifty. I'm a Mom, speech pathologist and occaisional writer.
    Your willingness to put yourself "out there" is fantastic. Thank you and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!