Monday, November 27

Why blogs are important.

I usually don't link to Huffpo stories, I mean, what's the point? You either all read it anyway or you don't on principle, more power to ya. But don't miss David Sirota's article on why the MSM controls the discourse. The New York/Washington/LA myopia of the mainstream media is cut to ribbons here, and good riddance.

Sirota leaves out two important points: first, that the blogosphere is set to take on that myopia head on, and secondly, that Dean's 50 State Strategy is, too. I happen to think that these two elements, the blogosphere and the 50 State Strategy, are linked at the hip. With left-wing bloggers in some very red states (like, erm, Alabama) it makes sense for the Democratic Party to pay attention to each and every race, every state, no matter what its shade of crimson.

Couple side notes. Over at the Aristocrats we are planning a Frank Zappa blogswarm to occur sometime next month. You'll be able to post a link to your blog or maybe even guest post, particularly if you don't have your own blog. Details are still being worked out. Watch that space. I happen to think Frank Zappa one of the great political philosophers of our time:

"It pays to make the U.S. school system a crock of shit because the dumber the people are that come out, the easier it is to draft them, make them into docile consumers, or, you know, mongo employees. There are plenty of yuppies out there with absolutely nothing upstairs. Graduate airheads with PhDs and everything but they don't know anything. And what do they listen to? Certainly not my records."


The official Frank Zappa site is a real trip. Do go visit.

Second side note: I am feeling a little better, thanks. Besides, I've used up all my Mommy sick days for the next twelve years. If you think I'm going to spend my first full day on my feet in two weeks, grocery shopping, putting away laundry, and vacuuming, you would be right.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:50 AM

    *sings*

    You paint your head.
    Your mind is dead.

    You don't even know what I just said.

    That's YOUUUUU

    American Womanhood.

    You're phony on top
    You're phony underneath
    You lie in bed
    and grit your teeth

    That's YOUUU

    American Womanhood.

    -Frank Zappa, 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organic, I love-love-love that idea (and having written a couple of items for my local paper has nothing to do with it. Heck, I took one of my utterly favorite local reporters to lunch last week...)

    BlueGal, I think that idea merits a blogswarm, in a big way: think global, act local writ large.

    I wonder how many local newspapers link to the blogs of locals? I wonder how many we could *get* to link to local blogs? Hmmm...

    (And you WATCH it with the overwork, dearie. No point in working yourself into a relapse, y'hear?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear you are feeling better. as to zappa, he was beyond amazing.

    one note, true,no disrespect intended, the image on the shroud of turin looks just like zappa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zappa was up there with John Lennon and Neil Young as a significant voice in the generation that still gave a damn. Today's youth appear to me to have been Playstationed into acquiescence. Perhaps they truly believe that if things get real bad they can just hit reset.

    I like organic's idea too Shunra. It has the decided advantage of not having been tried yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:39 PM

    Count me in for the Zappa blogswarm. I've never blogged on Zappa, so this would be fresh material! When will this be?

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!