Tuesday, September 30

Only in South Carolina.

First of all, the mayor's name is Danny Funderburk. I know. I could stop there.

Then, he forwards a viral email which suggests that...wait for it...Barack Obama might! possibly! be! the antichrist!

And his excuse is, Cavuto time! He's just asking the question.

"I was just curious if there was any validity to it. I was trying to get documentation if there was any scripture to back it up."


As one of the few bloggers out there with a divinity degree, allow me to answer your "question," Funderburk.

There is no scripture behind which to hide your religious bigotry.

But you've given me an opportunity to illustrate what is going on in the South. Racial bigotry is bad for tourism, and public display of such is socially unacceptable among public figures.

Religious bigotry, including throwing around terms like antichrist and scripture, is still socially acceptable in South Carolina and much of the South. And "Muslim" is totally the new "n*gger."

11 comments:

  1. Most of my conservative friends are still members of the reality-based community. But I spoke with one last night who was tossing off familiar right-wing smears - and also some I've never heard before! She really believes the Obama-is-a-stealth Muslim stuff - and that's just for starters. Sweet and generous woman to her friends, but it took me by surprise. More than a bit disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:53 PM

    Hey bluegal. I've just come across your blog and I like it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:20 PM

    If he's such a Scripture believing soul, he wouldn't have to ask that question here. However, if he were to look in the Bible, he just might find a commandment against not bearing false witness, and a verse about not gossiping. I guess that would include not throwing mud, to see how much sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really getting sick and scary and totally stupid.

    what a bigoted ass he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, he actually had to read a document he purportedly lives by in order to ascertain whether his prejudices lined up with it?

    That's no fun.

    ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny Fuckinburp? Wasn't that an SNL skit with Dan Ackroyd? Danny Funderburk, Male Prostitute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Religious bigotry? BINGO!

    His hooded white robe is showing ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just curious if Danny Funderburk is a syphlic moron through genetic mutation or if it was a learned trait? I think I found scriptural documentation in the bible, St. Jimm, book of beer, pints 1:pretzels:2

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all know that Obama is a mack daddy and an emissary of the devil.

    That's enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. South Carolina and East Texas. This is not the first I have heard this. A number of clients in Texas have been "asking the same question". Interesting how they see this biblical thought.

    I wonder who they believe the Whore of New Babylon to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:19 PM

    I feel your arguments against this man are powerfully weakened in moral force when you begin by making jokes at the expense of his name.

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!