Tuesday, December 11

Just gotta say part 2


I just went down to the basement to get my Christmas tree stuff brought up. (Am I late? Tough.)

Came across a folder of poetry I wrote when I was seventeen. A big folder. Poems, plural. As you might expect, it all pretty much sucked, but dang, I've been a writer for twenty-seven years. Longer than I've been a knitter. I self-identify as a knitter, easily. Writer? Not so much. Time to change that.

And while pundits argue about the ever-changing nature of reading and the rape of the printed page by technology and whether Google is destroying the western canon by digitizing it, we writers keep doing what we do as we ever did....

...one cup of coffee at a time.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like we got ourselves a writer, heyah...Better head for the state line.

    ;>)

    Vaidhyanathan seems to delight in reducing complex issues into components taken to absurd extremes so that he can make his arguments more easily...An old lawyer trick.

    It's not intellectually dishonest per se, but the straw starts to show at the cuffs after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....maybe you'll find direction..... around some corner where it's been waiting to meet you.....
    .....it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there..... believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare..... it's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair ....such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there....

    i set out runnin' but i take my time

    ReplyDelete
  3. December 11 isn't late.

    December 26, now, that's late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I would characterize the stuff I put down at seventeen "writing". Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure what is written now qualifies as writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh - the Significant Other makes me clean out the "Mine" box every now and again. Amazingly odd stuff in there: half-formed plot lines; scenes from unwritten or partially written plays; single, disconnected lines...

    They may even get used some day, if I can remember what the heck they were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a writer. you have always been a writer. anyone can learn the "rules" it takes a lover of words to really write and sometimes just fuck rules.

    you are a damn fine writer.

    i'll bet even as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Sherry said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't be a tease... show us the poems!

    There is a lit group out here in LA that shares all of their journal entries from their teen years..

    great stuff...

    ReplyDelete

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say. I do moderate comments, but non-spam comments will take less than 24 hours to appear... Thanks!